Only Intermission: 10 Fun Ways to Stay Active During COVID-19
Spring conservatory classes just ended and we’re in the middle of a stay-at-home advisory. Still, who says you can’t stay active and healthy from the safety of your own home? Read on for 10 free online resources to get your creative juices going, and, remember, it’s never too late to learn a new skill! Be sure to visit The Hanover Theatre Conservatory website for even more summer offerings coming soon.
1. Enjoy open dance classes from Dance Theatre of Harlem on their YouTube channel.
2. Take to the virtual stage with choreography straight from Disney Theatrical Group. Check out a tutorial for Broadway’s Newsies below, then head over to YouTube for more chances to learn dance moves from The Lion King and Aladdin.
You can also download exclusive education materials and activities themed around Disney’s many Broadway shows from Disney On Stage.
3. Add a little humor to your day and learn some new dance skills with BroadwayWorld’s Dance Captain Attack tutorials.
4. BroadwayWorld is also hosting regular “Living Room Concerts.” Choreographer Fabian Aloise took a different approach by teaching choreography from Bring It On: The Musical.
5. Lincoln Center at Home offers a variety of programming, from daily dance workshops to full performances.
6. Take a challenge from Playbill and create your very own #LivingRoomTheatre performance.
7. Make history with EduHam from Broadway’s Hamilton. The made-for-home learning program is available through August 2020 and gives students a chance to create and share their very own masterpieces.
8. Learn from pianist Jim Brickman as he talks about his approach to songwriting and performing. According to Brickman, most of music is really about heart.
We learn from the hitmaker that most music is really all about heart ❤️ Get your tips from the writer of hits like “The Gift,” “Valentine” and so many more!#25JimBrickman— Jim Brickman (@JimBrickman) March 30, 2020
Listen To Jim Brickman’s “25th Anniversary: Greatest Hits” Now: https://t.co/xu5uHkN1UK
9. Go green during quarantine. The Broadway Green Alliance is offering weekly virtual green learning lessons themed around Broadway.
10. More of an artist than a performer? Manhattan’s Museum of Modern Art is offering online classes in subjects including Fashion as Design!