Currently, Worcester audiences have to trek to either the Berkshires or Boston to see professional, dramatic plays, including productions of iconic works.
Announcing The Hanover Theatre Repertory
Given The Hanover Theatre’s mission to ignite and nurture a passion for the performing arts in audiences and artists of today and tomorrow, it seems only fitting that we would create The Hanover Theatre Repertory (THT Rep) to fill the void, especially in light of the opening of the new BrickBox Theater at the Jean McDonough Arts Center in downtown Worcester.
THT Rep is committed to engaging, entertaining and energizing audiences with dynamic theatrical events made in and for Worcester’s BrickBox Theater, focusing on classics, modern classics and classics-inspired works.
Why the BrickBox?
Between its intimate seating and industrial aesthetic, the BrickBox is perfect for fresh, sophisticated stagings of classic texts written before 1900 (think Shakespeare’s “Romeo + Juliet”), modern classics written between 1900 to 2000 (think Lorraine Hansberry’s “A Raisin in the Sun”), and contemporary works that are somehow classics-inspired (think Roberto Aquirre-Sacasa’s “Abigail/1702,” inspired by Arthur Miller’s “The Crucible”).
Furthermore, THT Rep productions and events will be created right here in Worcester, with talent pooled not only from central Massachusetts, but also Greater Boston, New England and New York City.
THT Rep’s Vision and Values
In envisioning THT Rep, we have identified the following as our chief guiding principles:
- We hire actors, directors, stage managers, designers, technicians and other theatre professionals who share a commitment to rigorous practice, have achieved a level of training commensurate with the demands of their role onstage or off and represent a wide range of ages, genders, skin colors, ethnicities and lived experiences.
- We create professional development opportunities for students from our conservatory and individuals from the Greater-Worcester area.
- We cultivate an environment of the utmost respect and professionalism, striving to be our colleagues’ favorite place to work.
- We seek out co-productions and collaborations to encourage the cross-pollination of artistic practices, to engage other cultural organizations in Worcester and beyond, and to share the enormous costs associated with producing live theatre.
- We practice radical transparency with our audience, from shining a light on how we select material, to unpacking the truth about the fiscal demands of bringing them high quality live theatre.
- We aggressively identify and break down any perceived or actual elitism clouding the theatre-going experience.
- We cultivate an audience that is diverse across all demographics, including but not limited to age, gender, race, ethnicity and socioeconomic class.
- We innovate every aspect of audience development, from how we price tickets, to how we activate the time before, after, and between performances, to how we conduct outreach.